Saturday, September 6, 2008

A Good Dog


Amy and Elias lost a good friend tonight: their Great White Pyrenees Dog, Abelard. Abbo was suffering from cancer and had lost the ability to stand. He was in pain and it was time for him to move on. Now, he is safely on the other side of The Rainbow Bridge, waiting patiently to wag his plumy white tail again one day when he will be reunited with his beloved human family.

The Rainbow Bridge must be a fine place for a dog to wait. So many of my dear friends are already there. So, this is for Lady, Corky, Abby, Tara, Nikki, Belle, Chelsea... and Abellard. We do not forget you.

Below, some of my favorite lines from poems by poets who abviously had dogs in thier lives and hearts:

THE BEST FRIEND
By Meribah Abbot

If I was sad, then he had grief, as well-
Seeking my hands with soft insistent paw,
Searching my face with anxious eyes that saw
More than my halting, human speech could tell;
Eyes wide with wisdom, fine, compassionate--
Dear loyal one that new not wrong nor hate.

From

THE HOUSE DOG'S GRAVE

By Robinson Jeffers

You were never masters, but friends. I was your friend.
I loved you well, and was loved. Deep love endures
To the end and far past the end. If this is my end,
I am not lonely. I am not afraid. I am still yours.


From MADDY'S WOODS in DOG MUSIC

By Jim Simmerman

And let the heart rest
that ran so hard, that grew
too big for this world.

No comments: